<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/13898080?origin\x3dhttp://yeahsoim.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
About Me


Name::I-66
From::Fairfax County, Virginia, United States
Leaving you wanting more... despite not having given you anything in the first place.
View my complete profile

Go Here
I-66 Points Standings

   1) 19 - PRSlaveDC
   2) 9 - Mandy
   3) 3 - Eric

About Them

starring, in alphabetical order...

Captain, The - Former roommate and one of I-66's best friends. Initially began blogging push with DC Sports and eventually his own Through Irish Eyes.

Deep Cover - Former roommate and one of I-66's best friends. (Cover, Captain, and I-66 once shared a house). Recently left area to move to Austin, TX for... no apparent reason. Alive. Or so we believe.

House - Current roommate and one of I-66's best friends, also owner of I-66's current residence. Met many of you at initial Lucky Bar happy hour. Name indicative of stature.

TSD - Former dog of I-66. Has broken his tail twice and been shot at by semi-automatic weapons. Currently resides in PA. Will lick you without prompting, and two-pawed thrust you in the crotch if you're not paying attention.

sometimes mentioned, in no particular order...

Chick Magnet - Family dog, resides with I-66's mother. Acquired as puppy at the same time as TSD. Name indicative of function.

Roommate 1 - Self explanatory.

Roommate 2 - Ditto. Just moved in at beginning of Nov. 06.

Legalese
© 2006 I-66
All material on this site is owned by I-66 and may not be reproduced without consent

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

"N"

I’ve been hesitating to write on this topic because it’s rather charged and, when dealing with things of which I am passionate, I tend not to step softly. Let’s give this a try.

For those who do not already know, I am half black (other half Korean, but that’s not of consequence here). I grew up in mostly white (especially in the 80’s and 90’s) Northern Virginia. I grew up in Burke and “Falls Church.” I went from being in the minority here to the majority at Norfolk State University – an “HBCU” (Historically Black College or University).

I do not use the N word (“N” for the purposes of this post, and that’s of the ending-in-"a" variety).

Up until high school I never had much exposure to “N”. When I hit high school it seemed as though most of the few black students had banded together, hung out together, and went everywhere together. I knew many of them on a passer-by basis but never became part of the group – I don’t dig self-segregation very much. (So, I-66, why did you go to NSU if you don’t dig self-segregation? Because NSU and Hampton were the only schools that accepted me. I didn’t have many choices.) Only then did I hear “N” slung about recklessly. I’d already formed my stance on the word: If they want to use it that’s alright for them. I won’t use it because it’s demeaning and carries a bit too much historical weight. For a while my friends and I would play football at lunch in the courtyard. One day another guy in our class (Arabic) came to play. He ended up scoring and turning to me and saying, “That’s a touchdown, ‘N’.” I flew off the handle. I got in his face (though he was bigger than me) and said “What the f’k did you just call me? I should kick your f’king –“ and before I could finish, 3 other guys in our class ran over and separated us. I turned and walked away with fists clenched and my eyes welling up in rage. I paced back and forth and calmed myself down. He attempted to apologize, “Hey I’m sorry man”, later on and I dismissed him with the wave of my hand. Sorry indeed. Were it not for the intervening parties I would have hit him as hard as I could as many times as I could. That was then.

At NSU things were different. “N” this and “N” that. “Yeah! That’s my ‘N’” in times of excitement. “Man, that ‘N’ ain’t sh*t” about someone you don’t like. “What up, ‘N’?” as a greeting. I became more or less desensitized. I even slipped and used the word myself a few times and hated every time it happened. That was then.

This is now. Don’t people know what that word means? Let’s establish that changing the “er” ending of a word to “a” does not change the meaning. Do you truly feel it’s alright to call your brothers and sisters (and I don’t mean family) the same word that has been used as a racial slur since the slave days? I’ve been part of the “if it’s ok for blacks…” discussion before. “Why isn’t it ok for everyone else?” It’s not ok for everyone else. It’s a double standard. I admit it. A man gets called “N” by one of his brothers or sisters and it’s cool, but if someone asian or white or latin or whatever calls him “N” they should fear for their lives. Now they’re a racist. They might as well call him “coon” or “boy”. Double standards ought not to exist but we know that they do. Personally there is no double standard as far as “N” goes. It doesn’t matter who uses it. There are no acceptable circumstances. One might be able to make an argument for music and, more specifically, lyrics. Listen to Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes – all of them are in my CD collection in numbers – and you hear “N” all the time, the argument being that you’re only saying the words of the artist. I know the words to the songs and, when singing along, will go so far as to censor myself.

I don’t expect everyone to see this from my point of view. I realize I will probably be viewed as having an opinion that’s rather extreme. My stance isn’t changing anytime soon. What’s yours?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9 e-pinions:

Blogger bryc3 said...

thoughtful post on a touchy subject I-66.

i grew up in the same area you did, and playing as much basketball as i did (and do) i formed my own opinion. i'm a white guy, so i really have no business suggesting what black guys do with the n word. i think it's unfortunate that it has become as popular as it has, but i also can appreciate that the usage has, in a way, allowed black people to 'take back' a word that is so negative. it's a form of empowerment, albeit an ugly one.

what is absolutely unacceptable to me is the way the word has been adopted by people who are not black. i cringe every time i hear some white kid say, 'pass me the ball n----!' because i know he has put no thought into what he is saying. he's just being trendy, but i can't help but think that on the very same courts thirty years ago his father might very well have said, 'you n------ can't play on our court.'

i'd love to see an older black guy beat the snot out of one of these kids one day, but sadly that hasn't happened yet.

Wed Aug 10, 06:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever see the episode of Boston Public where a white teacher tried to teach a class about the same topic, using this book.

Problem is, as you say, the word has become trendy, and there are a lot of kids these days (of any race) that don't understand the history of racial tension and bigotry from which black people have struggled and emerged (an optimist would like to think anyway). They hear the word in rap songs, movies, comedy hours, Dave Chappelle, South Park...etc. etc. and think it's okay to use it without realizing what lies beneath.

I agree - that word does NOT come out of my mouth and never will. Nor will it come out of the mouth of my future children.

Wed Aug 10, 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

yanno I was actually given that book once... I read a little bit of it, put it down, and now I'm not sure where it went.

Wed Aug 10, 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you really feel that someone using that term today, especially in the context you described (the football game), meant the same thing as someone calling you "coon," or "boy?"

I agree that the N word is completely offensive, even though its use is so common today. I agree that there is a double standard - there is no way around it and i think people questioning that and arguing with it just need to get over it...they shouldn't be using the word in the first place. but in light of those two things, i think when someone else uses the term - without malice, as it appeared to be used in your story - should you have corrected him and let it slide?

i understand to the degree possible why you flew off the handle, but to the arabic guy, don't you think he was using it in the same way he would have used 'buddy,' or 'bro?' because those around were using the term freely and he, like a lot of people today, probably wasn't aware of the history of that word and the societal rules governing its use, most likely didn't understand why he shouldn't have use it...

i don't think the word should be used by anyone, period, and i'm not justifying his or anyone else's use of it... i just question that the term - when used accidentally, innocently, or without malice - can be truly be considered the same as using coon, or boy, as you mentioned. in today's (more ignorant?) world and without the historical background of the word, how would he know not to use it, until someone teaches him that?

Thu Aug 11, 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Absolutely I do. Time does not simply diminish the meaning of a word, nor is social ignorance an excuse for not knowing the history of the word. As far as this goes I am not a judge of intent, I don't care whether malice was meant (but God help the person that uses it with malice). The fact of the matter is that the word is not a synonym for "bro" or "buddy" and if someone freely uses it with no regard for what might happen as a result, whether they're educated as to its meaning or not, they have nobody to blame but themselves for the repercussions.

Thu Aug 11, 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

I totally agree that this word is not an appropriate replacement for buddy or bro or pal. No one of any race should adopt it as slang or a cool way of referring to someone. However, it's increasingly hard to escape this word, as many young black men use it in music and movies. Not gonna lie I laugh when Chappelle has certain skits and uses the word. Perhaps we are all becoming desensitized to the origins of the word. When you see a funny skit by the likes of Chappelle it's very easy to forget the hurt and pain and degradation that originally accompanied the word.

Thu Aug 11, 03:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont think i was arguing that the word was appropriate for as a synonym for buddy or pal or bro, or whatever...just that with culture today, to someone who is ignorant, unaware, whatever, the word may easily slip into that category, until someone corrects them. hopefully without an ass-kicking.

that certainly doesn't make it ok or any less offensive or hurtful ...i'm just saying that i would think, in some instances, maybe it's a little more understandable and forgivable than it apparently is to I-66.

Thu Aug 11, 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger JP said...

I agree with you on the use of this word. It was forged to be divisive by white people who wanted an "outgroup". Now that it's been adopted by that group doesn't change its history. "N" is still an ugly word and I don't know if it should be thrown around by anyone. Living in the South, I still hear it used by older white people from time to time and it always make my skin crawl.

Mon Mar 20, 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

It struck me this is somewhat similar to the use of the word "queer" nowadays.

It used to be part of a whole bevvy of insults thrown at gay people, and then in the last few decades gay people started using it themselves. Queer festivals, queer fashion, queer film. The insult has become so thoroughly drained out of it by usage that even college courses can be titled "Queer culture", etc. now.

I'm not gay, but if I'm with a group of gay friends there's a lot of bantering along the lines of "shut up you queer/fag/whatever". And it's not gays-only territory - non-gays can join in. If it was meant as an insult, it can still rankle, but if it's part of a good-natured kind of slagging, it's perfectly acceptable. It seems to be important to be able to stomp all over it now.

I have to say I would agree with Bryc3 - it's sort of a way of reclaiming the word isn't it? Words only have the meaning you give them... throwing around queer seemed to be a way of saying, look, I own this now, it's not your weapon anymore. You can't get at me.

Tue Apr 04, 08:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home